Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What I'm doing

So I've decided to spend about 3 weeks this summer biking across the country. Wanted to keep people updated who either are interested in my trip or are just bored at work and want to laugh at my likely failures, so I'll try and keep this blog up to date. Figure it's a lot easier to explain the What than the Why of my trip, so here's exactly what I'm planning on hopefully possibly doing.

I'm setting out on the TransAmerica Trail starting in roughly Haysi, VA (starting stop still TBD) and biking to Pueblo, CO. The TransAmerica Trail is a collection of biker-friendly roads (or as biker-friendly as they come in the area) assembled by the Adventure Cycling Association that runs fully from coast-to-coast starting in Yorktown, VA and traveling 4,200 miles to Astoria, OR. My projected route will take me roughly 1,600-1,700 miles over (hopefully) 23 days or so starting this Sat. (July 4th) -which averages out to biking over 70 miles per day. http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm
I have mapped out my proposed route on a google map, which I'll link to when I can, but for the moment am on a library computer which must be from 1998 since it doesn't have enough processing power to open it.

Here are answers to the questions I'm usually asked when I tell someone I'm going on the trip.

Q: Are you crazy?
A: Yes.

Q: Where will you sleep at night.
A: A mix between campsites and motels. I'm bringing along a 1-person tent and air pad to sleep on.

Q: What all are you bringing.
A: Not that much, all things considered. Less than 20 lbs. of gear, not including water weight. I'm carrying 2 panniers on my back-rack, and I'll have in it a couple pair of biking shorts, 2 biking shirts, couple pair of socks, my biking shoes, another pair of shorts and a T-shirt, my tent and air pad, couple spare tires and tire levers, tire pump, hex key, rain jacket and cover for bike and panniers, my camelback and a couple water bottles, maps, mini first aid kit, mini stove and basic camping cookware, sunscreen, insect repellent, toiletries, pepper spray, leatherman, and that's about it.

Q: Is there I reason you are going in the hottest month of the year?
A: Yep. Adds a challenge. Who doesn't enjoy a good several hours of biking through the flat pains of Kansas during 100+ degree heat.

Q: Who are you going with?
A: Um...myself.

Q: No really, who are you going with.
A: Seriously, just myself. Aside from the obvious roadblocks(time off/cost/physical ability) involved with trying talking someone into joining me, I am looking forward to the chance to do something challenging like this on my own. Certainly makes things as flexible as I'd like them - can go at whatever pace a feel like, stop where I want to stop or detour as I see fit - as hey, if I get halfway through and decide I want to quit (which I realize is certainlly possible), doesn't make me feel guilty for putting the other person off by themselves.


I have no idea what my internet access will be like throughout my trip but I'm going to try and between staying at motels occasionally and having libraries pointed out on my maps, I hope to be able to give a couple updates each week. I will likely not be able to post pictures until after I get back home (August 9th).

And lastly, in the off chance you know anyone that lives somewhere near my route, or if you'll be in the area, and want to either offer up a place to crash for a night or stop by for a visit - let me know.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I'll be following as much as I can. I'm glad cycling isn't a deke event this year. Good luck man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. Good luck.

    If you need a place to stay in St. Louis, I have lots.

    ReplyDelete