Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 18: Dighton, KS

Started out from Larned feeling pretty good about my legs and pace and whole situation in general. I was going to try and push it to Dighton for the night - about 100 miles away, but after that ride I'd be done with big riding days and be able to do days of 70,80,70 and then a morning 20 in Pueblo to finish out the trip - looking pretty good after I had just finished my fifth day of riding 95-100 miles and was going to do my 6th in a row. First stop was Rush Center about 35 miles away - traffic was not great for the first half, way too many cow trucks and man those things are carrying a lot of momentum - you get pushed or pulled away every time one of them passes you on either side, you basically just stop pedaling, put your head down and turn a little into the gust so that you don't get blown over each time this happen. Oh, and my rear view mirror is useless b/c of my panniers in back, so while I can usually hear the trucks coming up behind me, sometimes it's an upleasant surprise.

At Rush Center, which is a bit of an ironic name...not much going on there, I stopped to grab a bite, only to find there was no bite to be had - not even a gas station, but did find a vending machine with a Snickers and got some water. Only had another 12 miles to go to reach Alexander, the end of map 3 for my trip, and they were supposed to have a diner there. Did that, but of course they didn't have a diner, or at least it wasn't open. But pulled into the nearby rest stop and ran into another bike tour-er who was also going Westbound - my first one of the trip! Of course he was probably 50 years old and had a bunch of crap with him, so he went a little slower than me, but I sat and chatted with him for bit at the rest stop and went a little slower on my route to Ness City so we sat and had lunch together there too. He ended up staying there for the night, but I wanted to punch out another 30 miles so I said goodbye and pushed on to Dighton.

That was a tough 30 miles. Wind was in my face, must have been going 12-15 mph so I felt like I was going really really slow and working really hard. Ended up taking breaks at 9, 17, 23, and 27 miles along the way - something I don't usually like to do, but I had the time so I figured better to be patient than exhaust myself. Also went by George Washington Carver's homestead on the way- one of the few historical landmarks I've seen in Kansas where I knew what they were talking about. Rolled into Dighton and just in time - a big storm hit that night with lots of lighting and the power even went out at the place I was staying - glad I didn't camp that night.

Was happy to get in that last century ride of the trip and feeling pretty good about being able to finish on time without any trouble....

No comments:

Post a Comment