Sunday, July 5, 2009

False Start...but I'm heading out tomorrow, really...

So I'm two days into my trip and I'm already 2 days behind. I was at the beach in South Carolina last week, and made my return trip home to Johnson City before I was going to head out on Sat. for my bike trip. Well I ended up getting home at like 6 to JC, and was running around trying to make sure I had absolutely everything I wanted for the trip (namely pepper spray...apparently the dogs throughout Kentucky are notorious for attacking bikers...anyone who knows me knows that that poses quite a problem...). Anyway, around 11:30 at night, while still working away to get ready to leave early in the morning I finally said, nope, just put it off another day - that's what having flexibility is all about. So I did, and then waited until this afternoon for my parents to get home so one of them could drop me off at my starting point.
Anyway, I'm here at last in Berea, KY and am ready to hit the road tomorrow morning. My expected route will be about 50 miles to Harrodsburg, KY and I'm interested to see how it goes. There's a chance I'll ride into town at like 3 p.m. and be rearing to do another 20 miles...but more likely I'll be huffing and puffing and dragging into town at like 6 p.m., only time will tell I guess. The toughest biking will be at the beginning of the trip, so I'm taking the first few days and trying to go at a slower pace and length so I can gauge my endurance a bit better - though this will mean I'll need to do more 80-90 mile rides through Kansas when I come to it. Yipee.
O.k., didn't really have much to say here so I'll sign off for now. If my next entry from anywhere but a hospital where I'm recovering from a dog attack, I'll be happy with whatever progress I've made.

Erik

P.S. - I HATE dogs. HATE. More on this later, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment