Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 14: Eureka, KS

So couple things happened before the day was out on Sat. After posting, I hopped back on my bike for a final 12 mile ride to Immanuel Lutheran Church to stay for the night, and right before I got there I ran into a couple trekkers heading the opposite way. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes - John and Jess from Greenville, SC both seemed really cool, and the funny part was when I told them I was from Johnson City, TN they got really excited. I mean I saw John's eyes light up like no one I've ever seen when I've told them where I was from. Apparently they have friends that go/went to ETSU and journey over to JC occasionally and absolutely love it. No idea why but they do.

Then the church I stayed at was pretty great. Real small, rural church but the pastor lives next door and I sat and chatted with him for a while. Seemed real nice - let me use their shower and laundry and offered up some food, and is apparently a former band director - didn't go into seminary until he was 40. Anyway, nice to sleep inside as well.

Started out the next morning and was able to pound out 75 miles to Toronto (pop 310) before stopping for lunch right before 2. The only place open in town closed at 2:00 and I got there at 1:55 so I lucked out and devoured their Sunday special. Good stuff. The owner came out and sat with me for a little too as apparently she (guessing 40-50 years old, not exactly the most fit person I've met on the trip) and her husband are planning on biking cross country next summer and wanted to ask me all sorts of questions about equipment and whatnot. Happy to do it, and hope they make it alright, but I have my doubts...

Everything is closed on Sundays, which is a pain, but makes traveling go a bit quicker. Biked on over to Eureka to end up right under 100 miles for the day, and at just past 4 p.m. I really wanted to get in a few more too, since there was plenty of daylight left, but the next place I could stay was 35 miles away and I thought that was just too far to leave to chance. Mistake, I should have gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment