Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 13: Girard, Kansas

Finished off the night in El Dorado Springs last night with a couple hours at their Founders Day Picnic. Many more people there than I would have expected for a down with < 4,000 people, and probably pretty typical fair to you small town folk, but to me it was a new experience. Got myself a double buffalo burger and a few other treats. Maybe it's because I've been living in cities/college towns for too long here but what hit me there were all the age generations that I rarely see now: little kids, lot of teenagers, eldery couples, and of course lots and lots of parents. Didn't see much in that nice 20-30 year old, non-married-with-kids demographic. Sat and listened to the muni band play a couple songs, and then a family came up and played some bluegrass for a while that was pretty good I have to say (not to mention the huge consider of a fiddle player). Ended up leaving before the last headliner band came on - kinda wish I had stayed, but I was cold and they were taking too long to set up.

Started on my way to Girard this morning and after about 10-15 miles ran across a small gas station/convenience store I stopped at. Not your typical gas station. This one was made out of wood, had the lone gas pump outside, no running water on the inside. The lady working the counter was very nice though as were the couple guys sitting around the table so I stayed a chatted for a few minutes about the trip. Then when I walked outside the guy filling up his car said hi and told me that my legs looked like they were cut from stone. Uh don't think I've ever heard that one before but I'll take it I guess. Before heading out I wanted to use the bathroom...a new experience for me (I believe) - seeing as how there was no running water, I got to use the outhouse. Well, not as bad as I expected, but I did my best to make quick work, all things considered.

Back on the road I ended up F'ing my original route plan and tried to go a more direct - but more tricky - route. Got a bit scared when I crossed what I believe was the state border (note, absolutely nothing marked this crossing except a small sign saying "state road maintenence ends here...not exactly the "Welcome to Kansas, home of the whatever" sign I would have expected) and then the road went to a T. No road signs to tell me which way was what road. That did not exactly match up with my map, so I had to take a chance and just head south and then west, hoping I'd hit highway 64 at some point. Luckily enough I did about 7 miles later, but I was a bit nervous and still don't think that road is actually labelled anywhere. The last 7 miles to Girard were kinda brutal - along a busier road with no should and 65 mph speed limit, plus what felt like a strong wind from the north (although it really wasn't that strong, but looking forward to the big winds I'm expecting in Kansas). Anyway, got here eventually and am looking to refuel and maybe get in another 10-20 miles before I call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment