Monday, July 6, 2009

First day - Harrodsburg

So made it through my first full day in tact here traveling from Berea to Harrodsburg, which ended up putting about 55 miles on my bike (though 4 or so of that is because I missed a turn). Haved gone looking for my camping ground yet - hopefully it's nothing too horrible. Thoughts from the first day:

  • As mentioned before, I hate dogs. For whatever reason, folks out here don't particularly like to fence in, or chain up their dogs, leaving them free to chase whatever they please. I'd say I was chased maybe 5 times today, and there were another 6 or so that didn't chase much since they were too late. No pepper spray was used, but I'd say my 2 worst encounters were first with a dog (yep, I don't know breeds, deal with it, but it was no small dog) who's house is right on a turn, so he had more time to catch up with me. Was running pretty fast right on my back wheel for a bit, but didn't end up running into me and stopped after he got tired of my yelling at him. I'd say I was most ready for disaster when I was going down this nice, wooded, single-lane road and made the turn onto a County Road, when I saw a brown blur go past me on my left. I looked over and saw a metal fence - momentary relief - but followed it and saw it just ended a few yards and and there waiting for me, in full stride, was some large barking dog, running a full few yards ahead of me and not giving up. I did my usual routine of staring straight ahead and moving into the other lane, but he kept giving chase for a little. I reached in my pocket and grabbed the pepper spray, but then he gave up. The sad part for me was that I felt like I was going at a decent pace - 17-18 mph or so - but the dog could run that like nothing. Note to self: Bikes cannot outrun dogs.
  • Dogs were certainly my focal point while riding along today - didn't listen to the iPod, and was keeping an eye on each front yard for potential problems - but aside from that there was a lot of good and some more bad to go with it. I'd say the best things about the day were that after leaving around 8 a.m. this morning, I made it to my destination by 2:30 p.m., giving me another 4-5 hours of biking if necessary for the day. And that included a nice long lunch stop. Also, when I was able to relax a bit more, the scenery out here really was pretty great. Lots of rolling hills and quaint countryside. Didn't want to stop while riding, but would have made some good photography. I also noticed several 'quilt barns' which have a large quilt-like pattern over their entryway.
  • My stop for lunch was what I'd call my first real 'Kentucky' experience - a small convenicence store where the owner also made sandwiches for lunch. Sat down right before the lunch rush across from a large, bearded, chain-smoking fella who'd been working the same job for 35 years apparently. Didn't stay in too long though (not used to the smokey smell...made me feel a bit queesy at the time) so went and sat out on the porch for an hour. Had a couple guys who were going in ask me about the trip - as I did stand out a bit in my skin-tight bike shorts and biking shoes which sound like tap shoes - all seemed nice enough and everyone knew each other.
  • As for my legs it was a promising, but far from making me confident in the rest of the trip. Some of the hills out here I had a pretty tough time with, and I have a feeling I'll see worse in the days to come. Ended up walking the last portion of a couple of 'em. But I do think they still have good spring and recovery time - so as long as I don't have to sit and do 40 miles non-stop, I think I'll be able to pick up my mileage as needed.

I'll leave it at that for today. My next stop will be Bardstown, which appears to have a library, so hopefully I'll be able to post again, but we'll see what time I get in there.

3 comments:

  1. oh man, this is going to be good. i can just picture it, hembre in skin-tight biker wear, probably with white sweat stains, stopping by at some all-locals place with confederate flags flying everywhere. at least you can honestly say you didn't vote for Obama if they ask you.
    ps. hembre - hopefully you'll get used to dogs on this trip bc you'll likely be sleeping next to them when you get out here to Maui

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, really appreciated your commentary on the quilt barns. So nice for people to recognize a good barn when they see one. A bit of advice on the dogs, just give them a little kick as you ride by... Oh, I have a request to include those photos; if you have enough time to chill for 4-5 hours, you definitely have some time to snap some photos (dubb's description above really needs some visual evidence). Lance Armstrong is third in the tour de France, think you are on par with him?

    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hembre! What an adventure you are on! Any chance you can just run over a few of the dogs? Hahah... i guess that's not funny. But really, the bike is bigger than most of them, right? I love picturing you with your 'tap shoes' and biker shorts. Maybe take a photo of that instead of the barns? ; ) Can't wait to hear more in the coming days!

    ReplyDelete