Thursday, July 16, 2009

Days 7-8-9-10

I know it's been a few days since I've posted. Things got a little messy, but here's what's been going on.

Day 7: Murphysboro, IL

I started the morning in Marion, just over 20 miles away. I had slept in a little, since the forecast called for morning storms, but of course it was great weather out in the morning and I missed a few good hours of riding. At this point, I had decided to head up to St. Louis to jump on the Katy Trail - a 200 mile long bike trail across Missouri which I'd heard pretty good things about. Since I was a bit unsure of how my route up to Louis would be for bikers, I had spent the morning looking for alternatives to getting up there but came up empty again, so I started my ride, made it to Murphysboro in a couple hours and then looked at the clouds and had to make a choice. The next town was Chester, about 40 miles away which would take me a while to get to, and there wasn't much relief in between if the weather got bad. It was about 2 p.m. and I ended up deciding to wait a few minutes and see what was coming, and I'm glad I did - soon after we got a massive downpour with lots of lighting. This storm lasted several hours as I chilled at a Mickey's, so I ended up having to just camp out at a motel there in Murphysboro. And since I was now 100 miles away from St. Louis, I knew that either I'd have to go another day behind schedule, skip the Katy, or find alternative transportation. After a bit of searching with help from Kristi (sister) I ended up booking a one-way car rental up to St. Louis. And naturally I had to bike all the way back to Marion to get the car. Ugh.

Day 8: St. Louis
So the next day, I biked back, picked up the car and drove up to the big city. Have to say I'm glad I did so, because the road I would have taken up there was terrible for bikers - lots of traffic, little/no shoulder, hilly at times - would have been awful. It felt a bit weird driving all that way - going so fast and at the same time it felt like I covered a lot of ground and it seemed amazing I'd be able to cover it in a day with I bike if I had wanted to. Coincidentally I got into St. Louis the night that the MLB All-Star game festivities were beginning, so there were a lot of out-of-towners coming in from the airport with me as I took the metro downtown. I was just a little out of place in my biking short and bike in the crowded metro. For the night I ended up staying with a friend of my friends Landen and Dan - Liz - who all went to Wash U. Got a little lost on my ride from downtown out to her place, but hey, I got to see the splendor that is St. Louis. Talk about a dead downtown - hardly saw a soul after I was a few blocks away from Busch stadium. Anyway, had a fun night hanging out with Liz, her roommate and a couple friends but I was getting antsy to get back on trail - nearly 2 days now without a good ride.

Day 9: Marthasville
Woke up early and headed out of St. Louis to St. Charles, which is where the Katy trail begins. The ride out of town - about 15 miles - was pretty nerve racking, going through a good amount of morning traffic that's none to happy to have a biker along side them, but whatever I survived. Once I was on my way on the Katy things were good though. The Katy really has to be one of the best bike trails in the nation - it's surface is crushed limestone, which isn't ideal for my bike, but I put on some thicker tires before the trip began so was hoping they would hold up on the surface. The trail is really well maintained and they do a good job of letting you know where everything is at - eating, water, restrooms, ect. As you bike along you are essentially either biking through a forest with a singular path cut down the middle - lots of overhanging trees and creeks/rivers running along side the trail - or you are next to farmland with scenic view of the bluffs in the distance and vast expanses of sky. And it seems like there is hardly anyone on the trail - I can go 10-20 miles without seeing a soul, I couldn't ask for more. Plus the overhang blocks the sun so you don't even know it's 90 degrees out. Oh, and it's completely flat. In a good way - it never tires out your legs, because you can only go about 15-17 mph anyway riding on the gravel. Stopped in Augusta for lunch at a brewery where I got a great pork BBQ sandwhich and a beer, but when I got back to my bike the back tire was flat. Ugh. So I changed it and started on my way again. Made it maybe 5 miles before it was flat again. Oh no. The trail had gotten more bumpy after Augusta and I was now afraid it would be too much for my bike. I changed it again, and was now down to 1 more spare tire (along with some temporary scabs). Started off again and 2 miles went by before it went flat yet again. %*#($#!. I could feel the trouble know, so I looked at the map and tried to figure I way I could start biking on the paved road (since I figured the trail was the problem). I couldn't reach the highway for a few miles, so I changed my tire again and went very slowly down the road (7-8 mph) and finally made it to the highway. I needed to go about 30 miles to reach the next bike store. Started and and 2 miles along, thud. Back tire out again. #(*($##%^@)#(@$#^%!)!)@*!). So I said F it, and walked the next 2 miles into Marthasville, changed it again, grabbed some dinner and set up camp for the night. I figured by back tire was just screwed and that when I went into a shop they'd tell me I'd have to get a new one or something. At that point, I wouldn't have been surprised if my trip was going to have to be cut short.

Day 10: Trebbets
So I started out the next morning, found the sheriff and asked for a lift to Herman, where I knew there was a bike shop. He would have been happy to give it, but couldn't fit it in his car. So I began walking down the highway, looking to hitch a ride. After about an hour and and a half, finally got a guy to stop - he was on his way on an insurance call, but was heading back to Washington (about 6 miles away) where he knew there was a bike shop. It wasn't perfect, but at that point I had to take it, so I hopped in, headed out to a farm to check out some wind damage to an auger (sp?) and then headed to a bike shop in Washington. After a little time, we finally found the problem. Me. Apparently I was being a bit to rough with the presta valve as I was hand-pumping the tires, which was causing the flats. They fixed me up and dropped me back off at Marthasville - the young guy working there was very interested in my trip and talked with him for a bit, seemed like a cool guy. Even gave me a free lube and chain cleaning. So it wasn't until 1 p.m. that I started on my ride - I had now missed a full day's riding with this problem. But I was able to crank out 55 miles that afternoon and made it to a cool house for the night. Basically a shelter set up for cyclists on the Katy Trail - no one works there, you just walk in and there's bunkbeds and showers, a bike room, ping pong table, kitchen area - it was really nice to have. Too bad I didn't have anyone to whoop up on in ping pong along, but there was a nice couple from Dallas staying there as well. And the place only asks for a $5 donation.

Day 11: Sedalia
So I got up early this morning and set on my way. Made it 60 miles before I took lunch here in Booneville, MO and have about 40 more to go this afternoon to hit Sedalia. Biking is a breeze on this trail and will miss it when I'm back on the roads with cars, but I'll just enjoy it while I can. If I can avoid any more problems the rest of my trip, I think I can still make it to Pueblo, but I think if I end up with anymore setback - weather, mechanical, or physical - I may have to end up cutting the trip short. I'll cross my fingers though.

No comments:

Post a Comment